If you're considering selling or refinancing a home, you will need to have it prepped for an easy transaction. In most cases, a buyer or mortgage company may require several inspections. All or some of the following may be required: Wood Destroying Insect Report (WDI) / Termite Inspection, Structural Inspection, A/C Inspection, and sometimes a Septic Inspection.
The Wood Destroying Insect Report (WDI) / Termite Inspection is a report that notes any infestations of Wood Destroying Insects that may be active in the home. The report will also note any previous infestations of Wood Destroying Insects and any conducive conditions that may exist on the home or structure. Conducive conditions are things that may increase the chance of infestation.
A clean report helps keep the transaction moving smoothly. RP Lee Termite & Pest Control recommends a pre-inspection walk through to see if there is any visible activity of Wood Destroying Insects and to review with you any conducive conditions that may exist. These conditions may be able to be corrected prior to listing or selling your home.
The following is a list of some of the conducive conditions homeowners need to be aware of:
- Remove all wood to ground contact around the home, including lumber, firewood, wood forms, bark mulch, wooden dog houses, etc.
- Try to keep at least 2” of foundation exposed around the home.
- Keep all foliage trimmed back away from the home, including tree limbs, vines, shrubs, etc.
- Fix all water leaks inside and outside of the home.
- Get water to drain away from the home.
- Don’t allow water to stand around the home.
- Repair all wood rot.
- Seal all expansion joints, slight corner cracks, joints, and cracks around the home.
- Remove all dead wood and stumps around the home.
- Don’t attach wood decks or wood fences to the home.
- Fix any leaks in the roof or in the gutters.
- Ventilate crawl spaces under homes.
- Don’t attach wood sheds, or set wood sheds next to the home.
- Keep all wood decks off the ground.
Call RP Lee Termite & Pest Control today to set up your pre-inspection.