Termite Prevention Tips
Due to the amount of damage termites can cause, it’s very important to identify any infestation as early as possible. There are several tell-tale signs that a homeowner needs to be aware of:
- Mud tunnels on the exterior of the slab.
- Small holes in wood trim, siding, paneling, sheetrock.
- Grooves or tunnels in sheetrock.
- Dirt growing on walls, door frames, ceilings, or base boards.
- A swarm of small black bugs with wings, without wings, or just signs of wings all around.
- Small piles of dirt or debris.
If you see any of these signs, call us for a professional inspection. Regular inspections are the only way to ensure your home is termite free. During our inspections of your home, we will notify you of all the conditions around and inside of your home that are conducive to all Wood Destroying Insects. Here are some of the conducive conditions or Termite Prevention Tips for all home owners:
- Remove all wood to ground contact around the home, lumber, firewood, wood forms, bark mulch, wood dog houses, etc.
- Try to keep at least 2” of foundation exposed around the home.
- Keep all foliage trimmed back away from the home. Tree limbs, vines, shrubs, etc.
- Fix all water leaks inside and out of the home.
- Get water to drain away from the home.
- Don’t allow water to stand around the home.
- Repair all wood rot.
- Seal all expansion joints, slight corner cracks, joints, and cracks around the home.
- Remove all dead wood and stumps around the home.
- Don’t attach wood decks or wood fences to the home.
- Fix any leaks in the roof or in the gutters.
- Ventilate crawl spaces under homes.
- Don’t attach wood sheds, or set wood sheds next to the home.
- Keep all wood decks off the ground.
Call the professionals at RP Lee Termite & Pest Control for a complete inspection.